Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Dead set against it....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Dead set against it.... Empty
PostSubject: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 am

...for a number of reasons.
1. I didn't want it in the first place
2. I hate the entire concept of the DI turning the game into some half-assed World of Warcraft.
3. I have no desire to buy a book, only to have to go online and shell out a "nominal fee" inaddition to the DI to get the rest of my book.
4. I have no desire to buy digital boosters just so I can have the stuff required to be able to use the online play option.
5. I have no reason whatsoever to sink a bunch of money into a new edition that will end up getting .5ed again in 2 years.

I'm pretty happy with the flexibility of 3.x and will continue to play it for years to come. If I wanted to play Star Wars Saga, I would've bought the book.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Dead set against it.... Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 11:20 am

WEll I am lost in the loop, didnt realize that it was going to be like that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm

The fee for DI has been widely speculated to be $9.95, which is likely accurate (Said it was between a subscription to Dungeon and Dragon, about $7 and an MMORPG, typically $15).

The cost for accessing the online part of a book that you buy is supposed to be comparable to a cup of coffee, though whether that's Gas Station coffee or a triple FraptaLatteChino with extra whipped cream remains to be seen.

The digital booster thing is still in the air as far as how they're going to actually implement it, but it is definitely not free.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

The cost for accessing a digital enhancement to the book should be $00.00. You've already paid for the book and WotC have already (presumably) paid for the content (through the fees paid to the author), and have most of the page layout done (that is, after all, how they know what will fit and what must be cut).

If WotC feels the need to charge for the content, I feel that a small fee should be added to the cost of the book (a buck or two). Believe it or not, that seems like the most fair way to me, as the content was produced even if there wasn't enough room in the book for it. Of course, I have access to the internet so am probably a bit more relaxed about looking at it from that angle.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Well, I'll just continue what I do now, which is torrenting. I get a new book from the LGS, I go home and download it, in case something happens to the book. And something did. I lost a buttload of books. Buuuuut, I got a bunch back. Anyways, I have torrents of them, because they got stolen from me, I feel a PC copy is a great thing. I've already used mine in a game.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Dead set against it.... Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 12:43 pm

wotc is a bunch of money grubbing.............
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 8:13 pm

I agree with Wraithborne on the issue, i will glance at 4th edition to see if they fixed some things but I will be sticking to 3.5 right now.The whole lets get the younger crowd by making it a half-breed WOW (yes its optional but its the fact that its there that peevs me) Where's my beer...?
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dead set against it.... Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 am

Don't even get me started about the possibility of digital boosters and v-minis. I can see a reasonable charge to add the new "pieces" to your available resources, but to "package" them randomly is enough to send me over the edge.

As for the rest of 4.0, I'm not liking what I've been seeing. I don't like the way the classes have changed and I don't like the way the monsters have changed appearances. I, too, thought we had a couple more years out of 3.5 and if 3.5 had gone until 2010 or so, I probably would be on board with 4.0 (or at least not pissed off about it). We don't even have a Lycanthrope splat book!

No, the more I hear about 4.0 the more I'm convinced that the Powers that Be at Hasbro decided that a new edition was "necessary"...

But many of us have been burned before with White Wolf, Games Workshop and now (from the looks of it) WotC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead set against it....   Dead set against it.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Dead set against it....
Page 1 of 1