Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

"New" Creatures.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

"New" Creatures..... Empty
PostSubject: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 am

Here they are, feel free to discuss. I personally despise the beholder, and love the troll. Mosquito nose was kind of getting to me Very Happy

Beholder:
http://www.lalato.com/gallery2/v/GenCon/IMG_3502.jpg.html

Troll:
http://www.lalato.com/gallery2/v/GenCon/IMG_3504.jpg.html

For all those curious, those aren't new minis, those are statues of what the re-vamped monsters will look like. The actual mini for the troll looks much better, IMO, but everything I see with the new beholder in it looks more and more like ass. Catfish-looking-scaly-ragm-fragm-grumble.....
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : "New" Creatures..... Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : "New" Creatures..... Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 am

The Beholder actually reminds me of the AD&D variety. I honestly don't much mind it...but the 3.5 has grown on me a bit more than I originally had thought possible or I just really don't like the "new" Beholder...I'm thinking that those armored moustaches are a bit much.

The new Troll. Sad I'm not liking it at all. The thing isn't gangly enough, it's too thickly built. And the head reminds me of something that I can't quite place...although I think it was in a bad 80's "horror" movie.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptySun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 am

the beholder reminds me of a charcter from some asian cartoon show, the troll reminds me a troll under the bridge and green dargin looks terrible. So now the ruined my game and my minis...? Sad
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
Annoying 40K playing Forum poster
Annoying 40K playing Forum poster
DarkFather

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-04-11

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptySun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Pinky - Sure the Troll doesn't remind you of something from Dark Crystal? (At least that is what I keep thinking of).

The BeFish, or Catholder, KILL IT, KILL IT NOW!

And Who's the 'horny' one at WotC? What is this facination of horned nosed dragons? Both the Green and the Red on the 4.0 DMG cover?!

DF
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptySun Aug 19, 2007 2:20 pm

OK, the statue was HORRIBLE, but check out wizards.com/dnd. That one's MUCH better. Not perfect, mind you, but it doesn't look like a 3 year old designed it. Now it looks like a 10 year old did it Very Happy

It also has what the new troll mini's going to look like if you scroll down to the bottom of the page (he winks at you, and his eye's a secret door to an old article)
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyMon Aug 20, 2007 12:43 am

I guess there is a slight call back to the Mystics...but it doesn't feel "Skeksie" enough to me...

It sort of feels like something out of Labyrinth, but I can't place any direct relationship. It doesn't really look like any of the Goblins, and I don't recall anything else with enough clarity.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm

As far as the new beholder goes, check out the other 4th ed post, I put up a pic.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 12:03 am

I'm glad to know that it's not a standard Beholder...Or at least won't be in 3.5. But I wonder if it will still be a variant in 4.0.

Either way, it still looks better than the Troll/Feral Troll.
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptySun Aug 26, 2007 11:15 am

I hate 'em both. The Troll looks silly and the Beholder looks like a catfish. Too bad I traded all of my stupid Scorrows, as I could've cut the claws off of one and made a passable Eye of the Deep with 'em.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Can you honestly look at the old troll with his mosquito nose and say that looks cool or even not silly? And as far as the beholder, it's been pretty much confirmed that it's a variant and not what the official new one will look like.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Not a bad idea, could get some old toy lobsters and turn them inot Eye of the Deep.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 11:26 pm

ZER0 wrote:
Can you honestly look at the old troll with his mosquito nose and say that looks cool or even not silly? And as far as the beholder, it's been pretty much confirmed that it's a variant and not what the official new one will look like.
Sure.

But I've had longer to adapt to the old Troll--some twenty years or more. And, yes, I like the gangly look with the extra-long schnoz.

The Scarren-reject doesn't do anything for me 'cause I already know what a Scarren is and why the Ogre Executioner makes a better one...

:whee: After the next set of Pinky and the Brain I get to move on to Farscape Season 4!!
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 8:09 am

I agree the long nose troll is classic, and classic is what counts mostly in my book. Its all about the roots! Not saying I don't want new creatures made also but a 2 headed troll would of been loved more then a feral one whatever that is... I know I hate the feral minotaur.
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2007 10:19 pm

I'm with Yack and Pinky.
For me, when I think Troll, I think of the Troll Slasher. It summed up quite well how I feel a Troll should look.

As for the Beholder, variant or not, it looks silly. I would typically welcome anything Beholder-ish, but I'll pass on this one.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... EmptyTue Sep 04, 2007 5:42 pm

I'll take one...but thats it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "New" Creatures.....   "New" Creatures..... Empty

Back to top Go down

"New" Creatures.....
Page 1 of 1