Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Making the Gcube

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Anyone have ideas on making a wicked cool Gelatanious Cube? I am thinking about getting some acrylic gel and blue dye...anyone have any ideas on making the Gcube a reality?
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 9:22 pm

http://www.zenzerovich.com/miniatures/gelcube/

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 9:37 pm

That gcube turned out pretty sweet! I am thinking about trying acrylic gel instead of Resin though.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 pm

There was a better one where he showed how to make all kinds of different tinting and shapes as far as gellatinous anything was concerned, I just can't seem to find it. I'm not sure what the other site used. Let me know how the acrylic turns out, it seems the process would be the same with one replacement ingredient. I'm still deciding what all I'm going to use for mine, so any input after you get it started would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 pm

I would like to use something non-toxic....the resin is nasty, nasty stuff.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Making the Gcube Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Making the Gcube Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Good luck with those projects. Man, that's way more "crafty" than I've got the guts for. Sure, they look pretty good, but I'm incompetent enough to wait for WotC.

Post pics of the process and finished products, please! Just 'cause I can't/won't try it, doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing it done! :)
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Quick question though, how exactly do you cure the acrylic? Does it harden at room temperature like the resin is said to? That would be a factor for me, as I can't really bake/cure anything here. And I wouldn't mind using the resin if it cured better/easier than the acrylic. I don't have a problem shutting off part of the house so I can cure a G-Cube. Also, is resin toxic after it cures, IE-if my son puts it in his mouth, is he going to get sick/worse? OK, so I guess it wasn't a quick question. Oh well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Well i dont think i would want to eat a resin Gcube Wink (i would think cured resin would be toxic...not too sure though)
The acrylic gel is much less toxic/smelly and it does cure in room temperature. Might be something to look into further.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 11:20 pm

I definately will. I guess the deciding factor would be the cost and availability (if something costs a bit more but is obviously better as is the case here, I'll definately get that for the safety of the little guy. But if it's a difference of $30 or more I don't have, I may just lock up the cube when it's not in use). I will check the hobby stores around here though. Hope the process described helps, and I'll try to find the other sites. Problem for me would be tinting it. The other site I mentioned detailed it a bit, but it appears to have disappeared from everything (my bookmarks included!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making the Gcube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making the Gcube   Making the Gcube Empty

Back to top Go down

Making the Gcube
Page 1 of 1