Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider Empty
PostSubject: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptySun Aug 05, 2007 2:45 am

Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider HCSRepaint1point1

Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider HCSRepaint1point2
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 pm

That is one wicked looking spider. Keep up the awesome repaints.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Very cool repaint. Never thought about making something evil good, only the other way around. Storm Silverhand, Archfiend!!
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks, guys.

Heh. I'm not quite comfortable enough with my (lack of) skills to try my hands at a Rare. But Uncommon? Sure! They're usually only a couple bucks each...
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 6:17 pm

That's kind of where I'm standing right now. I spray-primered a huge fiendish, only to find out spray primer dissolves the glue, and now I have a baseless spider. I was going to do it to look like spider-man, too...
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 pm

To be honest, I don't even prime the DDM figures. The existing paint usually does well enough to hold onto the new paint.

On something like the Spider, I'll just use multiple coats. Since I'm using white anyway, it's not so bad. Even some of the acknowledged "better" painters don't bother with undercoats on DDM.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 4:02 am

Thats interesting...i have yet to re-paint a ddm figure since i have so much unpainted pewter laying around. Man that bites about your spider. I would have done the same thing...about the primer you used, was it an acrylic based primer? What name brand did you use?
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 pm

I used games workshop spray on white primer (I'm sure the color isn't what dissolved it.) I lost the bottle, after I lost interest in spray primering my figs due to the fact it destroyed a lot of them before I figured out what was going on, haha. My Cormyrian War Wizard's chest became dis-attached, spider came off his base. But it was a lesson learned. I *think* it was acrylic based, but I can't be sure. It was the only primer my FLGS carried, and the guy at the counter said "it's a *must* if you're going to start repainting", so I took his word for it and bought it. Painted a few pewters, everything was good, then I noticed after I primered a few "gaps I hadn't seen before". Heh.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 12:46 pm

That's strange about GW stuff.

I haven't used their primer for years, but I never had a problem with it breaking the bonds of Krazy Glue.

Normally, I'd say that primer was necessary (and is still very necessary for pewter minis). If I were repainting nothing but unpainted DDM "blacks" I'd be using some sort of primer (grey or white so that it could be seen), but the purpose of primer is to allow for your paint to stick onto the paint. Since there's already paint on them, I don't normally bother.

Have you tried to reglue the pieces with Krazy Glue (or another type of "super" glue)?
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, CWW's chest was too small of a crack (while still being obscenely noticeable) to get into. On pieces with no glue, it appeared to have worked fine, like the Hunting Cougar (forgot I painted that one Very Happy) I have kicking around here somewhere, which was supposed to be my test, I didn't think about figs with tiny factors like that. I always test with something I have the most of, and my spider was not something I have a lot of, but hunting cougars were.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of two piece common minis. Sad That's a serious bummer.

I have heard of folks using white glue (like the stuff you used in grade school) as a sort of a crack filler. I don't know how well it works, though.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Yeah, I just threw away the CWW (I have way too many of those) so it's not that big o' deal. I should totally put up pics of the hunting panther I made, it was a lot of fun, and one of the only primered minis I finished painting I actually liked afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Pics, pics, pics!

That's part of what this is for man! I mean, if nobody's going to make fun of the "work" that I do, then nobody's going to make fun of yours...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 pm

I may end up repainting it, but I'll work on getting pics after I get the e-mail I'm waiting for. I'm also trying to think of some minis to paint, but without really playing any D&D my creative influence is gone with the lack of character creation. It used to be I'd look at a mini and think about how cool that would be as a representation of my PC. I'm looking at bulking up Shadowbane's sword with some graystuff. That sword's just way too small for that guy to wield 2-handed.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider EmptyWed Aug 15, 2007 7:48 am

cool spider...love it... never thought of white.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider   Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider Empty

Back to top Go down

Pinky's SCARY Repaints: Huge Celestial Spider
Page 1 of 1