Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces

Go down 
+2
Pinky Narfanek
Kilsek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Empty
PostSubject: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 6:42 pm

sooo i was sick of the ugly white bases on the dnd minis so i went to a hobby shop and did something about it it was pritty easy too but i used elmers glue and 2 packs of model train terrain it only cost 10 bucks but had some kick ass results!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2007-07-24
it might look ugly compared to others work but its not bad concidering im only 14
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Very nice work. Great idea for the dice cases!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm

The dice-box trick is an old favorite, but it's good that there are folks out there rediscovering these little things that us "old-timers" sometimes forget to pass on.

One thing I might recommend is leaving the vertical edge of the base exposed. It will help break up the terrain so that you don't accidentally overlook a mini and allows for the DM to keep useful notes and identify otherwise identical models by the different colored edge.
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 2:19 pm

Good job. I agree with Pinky about the vertical edge, but have yet to experiment with basing minis myself, yet.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Woot10

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 pm

I only ever experimented briefly (back in high school) when I was doing Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 minis.

Personally, it's not something that gets to me, but I know it drives some folks nuts.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 9:39 pm

Good stuff bradnaptime! I also find that if you mixed patches of ballast and turf together you can get some very nice results with basing. Also keep an eye out for interesting small stones. They can add alot to basing figures. I dont detail base ddm usually but i do all my pewter minis with detailed bases.
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

Number of posts : 931
<b>Trade Topic</b> : Here
Registration date : 2007-02-27

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 11:10 pm

Amazing Job ! But It Sounds Like a Fairly Expensive Process.
Back to top Go down
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11018554
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 pm

Sir Bozak The Damned wrote:
Amazing Job ! But It Sounds Like a Fairly Expensive Process.

Actually its not a very expensive process at all...the $10 that he put into ballast and flock will base at least 150 minis (probably more)
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 6:48 pm

I base all my minis with the cheap green flock... better then black!
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Is there a specific brand of flock that you use yack? I use woodland scenics and scenic master mostly
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Sorry folks, but I've got to derail a bit here:

:move:

OK, here's a question for those who don't care for the unadorned bases...Doesn't it bother you to see a patch of moss growing under the figure when in a dungeon, urban, cave or in a desert environment?

*Back on Topic*

Is there a way you have of making the base more terrain neutral so that it isn't quite so environmentally specific?
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces EmptyThu Aug 02, 2007 12:16 am

Pinky Narfanek wrote:
Sorry folks, but I've got to derail a bit here:

:move:

OK, here's a question for those who don't care for the unadorned bases...Doesn't it bother you to see a patch of moss growing under the figure when in a dungeon, urban, cave or in a desert environment?

*Back on Topic*

Is there a way you have of making the base more terrain neutral so that it isn't quite so environmentally specific?

It does bother me when the bases are not matching the terrain at all...one way to make it less "terrain specific" is to use crushed rock as a base material as opposed to flock. Adding a few reed types of grass really liven up the base and make it a bit more "generic" for any terrain use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces   not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces Empty

Back to top Go down

not exaclty painting but.. its about modding dnd minis baces
Page 1 of 1