Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Line of sight~No line of sight

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Line of sight~No line of sight Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Line of sight~No line of sight Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Line of sight~No line of sight Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

Line of sight~No line of sight Empty
PostSubject: Line of sight~No line of sight   Line of sight~No line of sight EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 am

WOTC is trying to make it easier for us to understand. I think I finally got it.

No line of site:

Line of sight~No line of sight Mi20080424a_1
There is no line of sight between these two creatures. No line of sight can be drawn that does not get stopped by a forest corner or edge.

Line of sight~No line of sight Mi20080424a_3
No line of sight exists between these creatures. No line can be traced without crossing two edges of a forest square

Line of site:

Line of sight~No line of sight Mi20080424a_4
In this example, the Elf Archer is able to trace line of sight to the Warforged Infiltrator. The Elf can trace line of sight from his upper left corner as a starting point, and it doesn't count as two edges because it is the starting corner.

Line of sight does not exist in the reverse case. Because all lines from the Infiltrator need to go through that forest corner, the Warforged can't see the Elf.

If the Elf were to attack the Warforged, the Elf would have combat advantage. Whenever an attacker can trace line of sight to a target but the target cannot trace line of sight in return, the attacker is invisible to the target and benefits from combat advantage accordingly.

Line of sight~No line of sight Mi20080424a_2
There is line of sight between these two creatures. When tracing this line of sight, the first corner counts as one only edge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
freedeath
 Brawler
 Brawler
freedeath

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Line of sight~No line of sight   Line of sight~No line of sight EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 1:14 pm

I've alway found WotC's LoS rules a bit silly, since you can draw a LoS that doesn't touch either figure's base; our house rule is to draw the line from the 2 furthest apart opposite corners, but only including intervening terrain as blocking LoS:

ie. In your first picture above, the line would travel from the lower left corner of the Warforged's space to the upper right corner of the Elf's space, so there would be no LoS. Same effect as described, but drawn from a different corner.

The 2nd & 3rd pic's LoS remain the same as described, but you'd have to draw the LoS from the back centre of each mini's square.

The 4th pic wouldn't have ranged LoS in our rules, since the minis are adjacent.
Back to top Go down
Chosen of Mystra
Sage of Shadowdale
Defender of the Faith: Connor

Sage of ShadowdaleDefender of the Faith:  Connor
Chosen of Mystra

Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Line of sight~No line of sight   Line of sight~No line of sight EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 6:49 pm

True. I never really understood the rules too much. you can measure line of site from four areas. I guess it makes since as that 5' square is your area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Line of sight~No line of sight   Line of sight~No line of sight EmptyMon May 05, 2008 12:02 pm

They all seem sensible to me except the third one....it's just silly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Line of sight~No line of sight   Line of sight~No line of sight Empty

Back to top Go down

Line of sight~No line of sight
Page 1 of 1