Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Photographing Minis Tips

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Photographing Minis Tips Empty
PostSubject: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 12:45 pm

OK, here's how I got those nice, clean big pics. All tips I got over from the folks at hordelings.

First, make sure your camera has a macro mode. This is usually represented by a little flower picture. This is how you get all the close ups on the blotches of paint I screwed up on that're invisible to the naked eye Very Happy

Next, obtain a neutral background. I've seen grays, blues, etc. This is to make your mini stick out a bit and not get washed into the background.

You'll also need a source of natural light that's nice and bright. The flash will reflect off the mini. I used the flash in my pics, and it turned out ok, but it's never as good as taking your background outside/opening the garage door.

Those are all I can remember currently, but they're very helpful for getting the detail work shown. Hope this helps all of you.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Some good tips there Zero. Using an alternate light source and no flash will reveal the details of the picture in a big way. A tripod is almost a necessity when photographing miniatures. I posted a link to a rather involved mini photo tutorial i found awhile back.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Photographing Minis Tips Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Photographing Minis Tips Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 5:23 pm

I don't have one of those nice setups, and only a mediocre camera.

But, I've found that the white tile (with the white balance boosted to make sure the tile isn't yellowed) under a flourescent light does reasonably well.

Although I have a macro setting, I typically just use the "auto" mode and let the camera decide. I do wish that I could find my tripod, crappy though it is, back but the shelf I take the pics on isn't exactly friendly to that sort of thing.

While the guidelines are excellent, nothing beats practical experience and you have to be willing to put a few minutes into learning how to make the most of yours! With a bit of effort, even a hack like me can take pics that won't immediately burn/blister corneas...
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 am

Auto worked out for me fine (though my cam has a pretty decent macro mode) and I used the flash, myself. I usually don't want to use my afternoon sitting outside spending forever to get good minis shots, and I don't have a garage. I usually end up wanting to take pics at night. It takes a bit more working around, but I took those pics with the flash on, with a black background IIRC, and they came out just fine. These are just the suggestions I got in the first place that I played around with to get the results I liked on my minis. Good suggestions though, I may play around with them a bit, myself.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 3:44 am

I do all of my pics indoors and at night usually. I use a tripod and use the camera on manual with a 2 second delay. Also the camera is on macro, the ISO at 50 and the light source set at two click over exposed (+)
Ahh yes....the many pics that are very yellow have the light source set at "auto"....my more recent much better pics have the light source set on "tungsten"
My pics are taken from a Canon S400
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 1:36 pm

I don't remember what the exact model is (Kodak C350 or something similar). It's far from a professional rig, but does well enough.

But I'm another "late at night" and "indoor" pic-taker. I haven't tried taking the ISO down, though. With as much as my hands shake, I need the faster shutter speed.

I'll have to play around with the settings for lighting...as soon as I actually get around to finishing some new minis, that is.
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
Annoying 40K playing Forum poster
Annoying 40K playing Forum poster
DarkFather

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey guys;

Here is my following setup for taking pics...

A Light Tent
2x Lamps fitted with 60W Blue Daylight Globes
Tripod
Digital Camera with Macro (Canon Powershot A630)

With the items above, and a piece of cardboard (the inside of a cereal box actually), I get the following quality pics...

Photographing Minis Tips TPMarshalBenedikt15

Photographing Minis Tips TPMarshalBenedikt16

Photographing Minis Tips TPMarshalBenedikt17

Photographing Minis Tips TPMarshalBenedikt18

Those aren't too bad when you consider that is photographing a metalic paintjob with a White shoulderpad.

DF
Back to top Go down
thekidxii
Red headed step child
Red headed step child
thekidxii

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:06 pm

ok, now how far (is the camera) from the mini when you take your snaps?
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:14 pm

When I've taken mine, the camera's generally been about a foot and a half to two feet away.

In part, the resolution of your camera will determine how well you'll be able to take pictures. But the ability to zoom in will help as well.
Back to top Go down
thekidxii
Red headed step child
Red headed step child
thekidxii

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:15 am

thanks pinky... I think my problem is the "shakes" from pressing the botton.... gonna try the timer next time... (as stated in other thread)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Minis Tips   Photographing Minis Tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Photographing Minis Tips
Page 1 of 1