Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Map strategy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Map strategy Empty
PostSubject: Map strategy   Map strategy EmptyMon Aug 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Thought I'd throw this up here. I used to have a terrible time picking which map would be best for my warband. If anyone has any input or contradictory advice, it would be appreciated.

Dragondown Grotto- This map works really well with ranged bands/spellcaster bands. If the opponent doesn't have flight, it's very difficult for them to get to you without walking around the walls. Line of sight is *very* open on this map. I prefer to take the side with forest squares, because even after they can get over and start hitting, you have the opportunity to hide in the forest.

Drow Outpost- Very good for single beater bands (fire giant forgepriest works great on this map). It forces them into a "choke point" in the middle of the map. So long as you can get your big beater up front to choke off the bridge (with a large base), you can score victory points, while denying them theirs, and keep your support pieces behind you without much threat to them dying. This map is a whole lot of hurt to multiple beater bands, as they usually can't get all of them adjacent to the main threat, so they're forced to think of an alternate strategy.

Hellspike Prison- Awesome map for multiple mid-ranged beater bands. It blocks their line of sight into the smoke, and pretty much lets you get everybody you want halfway across the map without any kind of threat. Black dragons can breathe through other ones, and end up going very far out of the smoke. Commanders can stand in the smoke and be virtually invisible, and so long as they're within 6 squares, you're still under command (+CmdrFX).

Frostfell Rift- Has worked very well for me with Ranged/Beater hybrids. You can turtle at the open areas and shoot while your beaters go out and score victory points and beat down their hitters. Sometimes it takes one hit on a titan to slide him into the pit (dc15 isn't the best, but with a level 10, they have a 25% chance of dying every time they get hit with a melee attack).

Thieve's Quarter- Very fun map. Solar+Shield Guardian seems to work well on it. Cordoning is the only map-based strategy I've seen thus far. If you can block off a victory area quickly, to where they can't get on the roof, you win off points. Asuras and bralanis (theoretically small copper dragons and halfling tombseekers as well) work very well for this, due to their high speed and flight (or the tombseeker's scout)

King's Road- Works supremely well for a lot of CG bands. Invisible beaters seems to do well on it, and casters have a *lot* of forest to work with (casting adjacent and being able to move away without attacks of opportunity is a big bonus).

I'll work more on it, I just wanted to get started on it. Let me know what you think Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Map strategy Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Map strategy Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Map strategy Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

Map strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map strategy   Map strategy EmptyMon Aug 06, 2007 10:34 pm

WEll, I suck at picking a good map so I stick with drow outpost all the time.

I use it so much I may have red make it 3d after the "great RPG map" is completed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Map strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map strategy   Map strategy EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Dungeon of Blood is a good map for multi-beaters. It also has the advantage of being one people don't practice on often.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Map strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map strategy   Map strategy EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 12:49 am

Thank you, I knew I was forgetting at least one, wraith Very Happy As far as dungeon goes, I really like it. Really straight-forward, and I usually take it to pre-releases (a trend that may stop as soon as they start doing more fixed-map tourneys like when they gave away all the drow outposts). Either that or if the set has at least 3-4 "titan" figures, drow outpost, as I usually end up pulling one of those figures, and it works out swimmingly for me. Very Happy I'll edit the OP after I get more info set up that's better than the "good for crits" that keeps running through my blank head right now. I really need to get some sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Map strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map strategy   Map strategy Empty

Back to top Go down

Map strategy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons :: DDM Gaming Discussions :: DDM Warband-Strategy Discussion-
Jump to:  
Forum free | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com