Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.

Go down 
+5
Sir Bozak The Damned
Pinky Narfanek
Ghidrah47952
Kilsek
MechaKingGhidra
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Empty
PostSubject: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyFri Apr 20, 2007 3:23 am

Read all about it here and here. I guess it was just a matter of time before it happened, and they moved to fulltime electronic distribution. Still, the magazine rack at the FLGS will feel empty now.
Back to top Go down
MechaKingGhidra
 Rogue
 Rogue
MechaKingGhidra

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyFri Apr 20, 2007 10:16 am

Well, I guess I'll have to buy separate magazines. Though it is hard enough already to even do THAT around here, locally, and now this.......oy.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 am

WTF!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Ghidrah47952
 Rogue
 Rogue
Ghidrah47952

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyMon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 am

i also heard paizo had been emailing people to extend there subscripition, they havent hit me up yet
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 am

I received two emails from Paizo today. Neither one was really hitting me up to continue (except with Pathfinder).

The email thing shouldn't be misread. This is likely an automated system that wasn't shut down in time for the cancellation notice. It's tough to know just when negotiations fell apart, and it may have just been recently.

I know that Paizo reps were talking around "something big" at XP, but even then it didn't mean that they knew Dragon/Dungeon would be cancelled (although they probably suspected as much).
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

Number of posts : 931
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Woot10
<b>Trade Topic</b> : Here
Registration date : 2007-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 am

With Paizo,You Know It Is ALL About The $$$...Look At Their Prices For DDM.6$ For a Winter Wolf...
Back to top Go down
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11018554
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 6:17 pm

I too just got a email today from them. That sucks I love the dungeon Mag as it was quick to just drop into an adventure and just do some tweaking for the realms. Sad
I will check out issue one of the pathfinder but for the pdf/webbase crap they can stick it! I want the thing in my hands with a decent cover where I don't pay for the ink!
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 6:47 pm

I Got The Email Too.I Guess It Was Longer To Email Canada...
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 pm

They have also nuked the licenses to Sword and Sorcery for Ravenloft and to Sovereign Press for Dragonlance. Bye bye OGL, hello 4e.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 pm

I don't think that the OGL can be terminated, at least not realistically. The D20 system may or may not be on the way out (there are all sorts of rumors right now), but I believe that the OGL will be around for some time.

Fourth Ed. might indeed be on the way, but I would think that they would be scaling back book production instead of going full steam ahead. The chance for profit is risked by alienating the customer who just plunked down $110 for four books that are now of questionable utility.

An "upgrade" to 3.75 might not be unwarranted, and would potentially be much easier for the consumer to accept if things were mostly just tightening up rules and what-not. I do not see a whole-cloth revision to 4.0 being effective.

Besides, there are still several splat books to be released (LYCANTHROPES, anyone!) and Drow of the Underdark is coming soon...This book is bound to be insanely popular and issuing 4.0 in the immediate wake of that book would cheese many people off.

No, the tightening of licenses doesn't feel like 4.0 to me. House-cleaning? Sure. Perhaps a re-structuring that will allow more focus to be put onto the different campaign worlds? That sounds plausible. A "cash-grab" to boost the fees paid for a particular license or a power play just so those other upstart companies remember who is in charge wouldn't be unreasonable either.
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2007 11:24 pm

So,Will Dragonlance Finally Rule Supreme Again ?
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyThu Jul 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Nope don't think so they will come out with yet another world.
Just bought the new Dungeon today and there is only one issue left before bye bye... Sad
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 5:35 pm

If any world reigns over the others, it will probably be the Realms. MWP has DragonLance back for a time (although I suspect that WotC will recover the license at its next, earliest convenience).

Given what we've seen from WotC of late, I think that they're reclaiming their licenses and re-evaluating which ones they consider to be "profitable" enough to run in-house and which ones will be re-released to outside companies.
Back to top Go down
Lannia Vol
The Sorceress
The Sorceress
Lannia Vol

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 pm

I is a sad time now that the mags are going out of print. I have every dungeon and Dragon magazine ever made!
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 12:36 am

Well I certainly wish that I had kept my original mags from my high school days. Unfortunately after two edition shifts I didn't really think that any of them would be worth anything...

Ooops.

Needless to say, I will be keeping the mags I currently possess in better shape.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 12:39 am

Some of the older books can still be bought on ebay for good deals. I have seen some lots of 25 mags sell for $25...(+ exact shipping) Now the really early issues is another story...
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 6:40 pm

That Sounds Interesting...
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 10:08 pm

I have all the 3rd edition and 3.5 ones...one more issue and its over. Sad
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 10:28 pm

RedSkullz wrote:
Some of the older books can still be bought on ebay for good deals. I have seen some lots of 25 mags sell for $25...(+ exact shipping) Now the really early issues is another story...
I have a huge collection that I'd sell dirt cheap(like $0.50 each + shipping) just to get it out of my way.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 12:44 am

Wow...any of the newer ones wraith? I am looking for any i dont have.(my trade list is updated)
To be honest with you guys i was a bit upset about the 3 year subscription to Dungeon/Dragon i bought some years ago(about #280)
Spending all that cash only to find out half of my magazines are damaged en route because they are only put in a plastic bag.....with the money being charged i dont think it would break 'em to add a piece of cardboard or two... as for the online mag....yuck. Print them out??? Hmmm ink at that cost would absolutely crush me!! (if you have a laser printer sure, or access to free printing at work Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 12:14 am

I'll see if I can find time to dig 'em out, but I have a crap ton and I'm sure some are newer. I'm with you on the online crap.....Sucks.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 am

Sweet...i look foward to hearing what you have after vacation. (yay!! fishing and relaxing for 10 days Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.   Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon and Dungeon magazine ending in September.
Page 1 of 1